First Day



Not surprisingly, I felt extremely out of place on the first 2 weeks of subbie year. Sounds typical right? The first day itself wasn’t exactly too much of an issue since everyone had an angsty vibe. We would be spending almost 5 more years with each other which, at the time, was nerve racking. That’s why it felt absolutely amazing when Ms. Morford made me stand on a desk of shame 7 times in a row for not bringing all my school supplies to her class! (sarcasm) Anyways I told myself if the Uni atmosphere didn’t work out I would end up going back to my old school and old friends.

The Uni atmosphere itself didn’t make me feel out of place but rather the way I felt slightly alone. I had no friends from my old school, Urbana Middle School, to really talk to. Everywhere I looked it was everyone talking to their current friends, from Franklin or Countryside or Next Gen, while I fumbled and tried my best to fit in somewhere. I didn’t feel entirely important since I didn’t see anyone else who was similar to me. For a while, I would float around without direction. It felt weird because I didn’t have difficulties making friends but I had difficulties in connecting with people. I loved the friends that I made and thought they were wonderful people but they just weren’t people that I could be close friends with. (I don’t know how much sense that makes but I hope it’s enough).

This all changed when I met Maher. There was an Interrelated Arts activity and Maher and I met each other. I had heard people talk about him earlier and he seemed to already have the reputation of someone who was funny and relatable. When I talked to him I really felt a connection and it was sort of relieving because we just sorta clicked. It’s the same click that you feel when you’re at a random family/friend gathering and you meet someone who matches your energy and can talk to. After meeting him I began to hang out with him and his friends and ever since then it was history.



Yeah if you’re reading this thanks homie.

Comments

  1. ILYYYYYYYY i remember that interrelated arts activity hgfghjk

    i felt relieved too

    love u bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great success story! I like how you used an experience that we all had and told your twist of it. I don't even remember Maher subbie year. Anyway, overall, very intriguing story and nice description on how you felt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really good! I remember the first time I bonded with Olivia while running in the rain. At a new school you never really think you'll find that connection with someone and I'm glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did we all just think that if Uni didn't work out for subbie year we could transfer and then somehow get stuck here?? Although, Uni was the first place we ever really got to go and make friends ourselves (as opposed to being set up by our parents/ at kindergarten/ whatever) and I am really appreciative of the friends I've made here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hated Morford's class. She would call people out purely based on her personal opinion of them and was an awful introduction to the social studies department. I like all of the current social studies teachers and I liked Mr. Sutton. Ms. Morford is the only social studies teacher I have actively disliked while at Uni. Also I think I started hanging out with some of my closest friends on orientation day because we were in the same group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same experience for you. My first period ever at uni was in Morford's class. I had just had lasik surgery, so I was wearing these huge goggles so that I didn't itch my eyes. It was not a great look for me, given that not many people at the school knew me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so touching. Honestly, I felt the same way too in the beginning of the year. It's really hard coming from a school with your closest friends to going to a school with people you don't even know. Im glad Maher helped you feel more welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I Want To Watch All Over Again

B-I-N-G-O