What I Want To Watch All Over Again

There are a bunch of shows out there that have made me think, "damn this sucks now that it's over", but none of them have came close to the feeling of sorrow I felt after finishing Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Avatar takes place in a world where people have the ability to bend the elements of water, earth, fire, and air. Only one person has the ability to bend all 4, the Avatar, and they maintain or restore balance to the world. When the old Avatar dies they get reincarnated into a new Avatar while retaining all information from the past one. The show focuses on Avatar Aang who disappeared (was frozen in ice) 100 years ago who has to stop a war caused by the Fire Nation. Aang meets Katara, a Southern Water Tribe waterbender, and her brother Sokka and their mission is for Aang to learn all 4 elements and defeat the Fire Lord in under a year.

This has been my favorite show since I was a little kiddo. I would remember on weekends early in the morning I would get up to watch Nickelodeon and I hopped into this series at the beginning of the 2nd season. At the time, I only watched this show because the idea of telekinetically moving elements to fight was really cool. I also really loved Appa, Aang's sky bison, since he was really cute and could fly. For my last birthday my sister got me this big plush Appa and I loved it.

Image result for Appa (character)


When I got older, I rewatched the series and discovered that the show was much more complicated and was extremely well written even in comparison to the movies and shows I watch now. Themes of imperialism, genocide, vengeance, forgiveness, and many more while depicting people from many different cultures. Each of the characters of the show are compelling in their own ways and each receive their own character arcs making the show that much more satisfying. Since the characters are relatively young it really feels like you grow up with them throughout the show. And that's something that I would love to feel again.

Comments

  1. d-Aang I really felt this post (*hold for 10 minute laugh break*) . Yeah I really like this show growing up. I always really felt for zukko's character and development. Like he goes from being a dweeb loser to being the best person in the show in three season (also his hair got a lot better so that was also a plus). Darn. this post really made me want to bingewatch this show. Also your Appa plushie is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Zuko has the best character redemption arc of all time I will never get over it.

      Delete
  2. My first interaction with Avatar as a whole was the live movie. Only after watching that movie did I realize there was a tv show. Sadly, I was too far behind to catch up. By the time I found an episode of Avatar airing on tv, I realized they were so far ahead that I had no idea what was going on. Perhaps now that streaming tv shows is a thing, I can go find it and watch the whole series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU SHOULD I SWEAR IT'S THE ABSOLUTE BEST SHOW EVER

      Delete
  3. Avatar is hands down the best show ever made. The duality of childish innocence and maturity is pristine. What do you think of Legend of Korra though? Personally, I liked it and thought it built off of Avatar's maturity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it builds off the show but doesn't come anywhere close in what made the original series really good. I have my issues with it but still think it's pretty great.

      Delete
  4. Wow, reading this gave me great nostalgic vibes. I fully watched the series back when i like 10 years old, so i have a very simplified view of the plot. I remember liking avatar so much i was hyped for The Legend of Korra, the sequel (?), but my hype slowly died out for some reason. Maybe I should watch the series a second time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this show, partially because it's amazing and partially because the first time I watched it was after I got stung by wasps and it was a really nice distraction. It has great quotes, character development, and has a really nice animation style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss the show so much and really want to watch it over again. I remember being so captivated when watching episodes, enjoying every second of the show. I feel really bad for the kids who aren't going to grow up watching Avatar.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Day

B-I-N-G-O